Iran’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs issues visas on arrival as a general rule for eligible nationals of 180 countries, such as EU traveling to Iran for tourist purposes.
What is Iran visa on arrival?
Iran visa on arrival lets you obtain your visa upon landing at one of the authorized airports in Iran. Iran’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs issues visas on arrival as a general rule for eligible nationals of 180 countries, such as EU traveling to Iran for tourist purposes.
What nationalities can enter Iran with a visa on arrival?
All nationals can obtain a Visa On Arrival EXCEPT for:
- Sri Lanka
All countries eligible for getting Iran visa on arrival can collect their visas in one of the following international airports in Iran:
- Ahvaz International Airport
- Bandar Abbas International Airport
- Bushehr International Airport
- Imam Khomeini International Airport
- Isfahan International Airport
- Kerman International Airport
- Kish Airport
- Larestan International Airport
- Mashhad International Airport
- Orumiyeh International Airport
- Qeshm International Airport
- Shiraz International Airport
- Tabriz International Airport
Note: On arrival countries’ nationals can enter Iran through Iran maritime border of Shahid Bahonar port too.
Iran visa on arrival requirements
When applying for a visa to Iran you will have to submit some required documents as part of the visa application process. These are the documents which are required in order to apply for Iran visa:
- A valid passport with at least 6-month validity remaining and two blank pages
- Completed application form (Iran visa application form)
- Scanned up-to-date personal photo in color
- Scanned first page of the passport
- Iran Invitation Letter (LOI) or a hotel reservation voucher. Strongly recommend that your voucher has the phone number of your hotel.
- A confirmed return ticket to show that you are flying out of Iran within 30 days of entry.
- Iran Travel insurance. Before planning your trip to Iran, the first things you need to take are visa and travel insurance. Unfortunately in recent years, some insurers in Europe and the USA do not provide coverage for some part of Iran such as Kurdistan and Sistan va Baluchestan. Don’t worry! Iranian travel insurance will allow you to travel safely all places of Iran. If you ask an Iranian insurance company to send you a full Iran travel insurance, buy your insurance from Persa Serv at 15 Euros. This travel insurance is compulsory for all foreigners visiting the country and also provides coverage of up to 10000 Euros.
- Travel itinerary. It’s not obligatory, but recommendable.
Caveats for Iran visa on arrival
While a visa on arrival is an easy and hassle-free way to get a visa than one in advance, Iran visa on arrival comes with their own batch of hassles of which you should be aware.
- The most common reason tourists are turned away at an airport is arriving in Iran without a visa. In visa on arrival you enter Iran without a visa and it is risky.
- Iran visa on arrival is more expensive than Iran visa in advance. For example Iran visa on arrival fee for French citizens is 75 Euro, but Iran visa in advance for nationals of France is….. It’s the main reason why you should choose Iran visa in advance VS Iran visa on arrival.
- If you travel to Iran through Iran visa on arrival, you have to be stuck up at the airport with long queues and wait from 1 to 5 hours to submit your documents. Once your documents are submitted, the visa officer will review and approve them. If the officer does not approve your documents because of some reasons, you have to leave Iran. You can get an Iran visa authorization code from Pera Serv and collect your visa easily at the airport.
- Getting rejected is something that can happen to any tourist and at any airport in their travels to Iran. If you’re rejected because of insufficient information or some other reasons, you have to cancel you trip and buy hastily a flight ticket in order to get back home. Note that MFA does not disclose the reason of rejection due to confidentiality of information. Per Serve will certainly help you with any problems you have about your documents approval process.
So obtaining an Iran visa in advance before you head to Iran appears to be much more secure than the visa on arrival option.